When Airlines Knew What Service Meant – 2
In about 1979 or so, we ad an awful Christmas Eve in the UK, which meant that lots of aircraft were frozen to their stands at Heathrow and nothing could go in or out.
At the time a colleague in Metier was in Amsterdam and needed to get back for Christmas. He got to Schipol and there were massive queues as no planes were flying to the UK, because most airports were shut. But instead of giving up, as they do these days, British Airways managed to get a Tri-Star to Schipol from somewhere. But where was it to go? It then turned out that the then small East Midlands Airport was open and during the afternoon and evening, it shuttled passengers across the North Sea. The last flight arrived in England at three o’clock in the morning, as they kept the airport open late, so as not to ruin Christmas for the passengers. The airline is supposed to have commandeered all the coaches in the area to complete passengers journeys.
But everybody had a good Christmas and British Airways got a lot of publicity.
I can’t imagine it happening today! In fact today, there are reports of incoming passengers to the UK, stuck in places like Barcelona and Shannon.
No comments yet.
About This Blog
What this blog will eventually be about I do not know.
But it will be about how I’m coping with the loss of my wife and son to cancer in recent years and how I manage with being a coeliac and recovering from a stroke. It will be about travel, sport, engineering, food, art, computers, large projects and London, that are some of the passions that fill my life.
And hopefully, it will get rid of the lonely times, from which I still suffer.
Why Anonymous? That’s how you feel at times.
- A Call From 08000562422
- The Back Passage At Kings Cross St. Pancras
- Easing London's Housing Crisis
- Edinburgh to Inverness in the Cab of an HST
- First Class Gluten-Free Food
- Erica Roe
- No Contactless Bank Cards On The Emirates Air-Line
- The Crossrail Site At Limmo Is Winding Down
- Do We Really Want The Barking In Parliament?
92CCBB Advertising Architecture Art Athletics Australia Banks BBC Building Buses Cambridge Cancer Charity Coeliac Construction Cricket Crime CrossRail Cycling Death Design Docklands Light Railway Driving Energy Engineering Entertainment Films Flying Football France Fraud Germany Gordon Brown Hackney Horse Racing Hotel Humour Internet Ipswich Ipswich Town Italy Law Liverpool London London Overground London Underground Manchester Museum Music My House New Bus for London NuLabor Olympics Phones Police Politics Recipe Religion Scotland Second World War Shopping Smoking Spam Stations Stroke Suffolk Tax Television The Netherlands Trains United States Waitrose Walking Weather Zopa
- Easing London’s Housing Crisis wp.me/pyNwx-evV 1 day ago
- No Contactless Bank Cards On The Emirates Air-Line wp.me/pyNwx-evS 1 day ago
- Do We Really Want The Barking In Parliament? wp.me/pyNwx-evQ 1 day ago
- The Crossrail Site At Limmo Is Winding Down wp.me/pyNwx-evJ 1 day ago
- The Crossrail Portal At Royal Victoria From The Bridge wp.me/pyNwx-evC 1 day ago